Paternity is Fatherhood
Every child deserves to have a legal father. When you establish paternity, you identify the legal father of the child. Paternity gives rights and benefits to the mother, the father and the child.
Some of the rights and benefits for the child are:
• Information on family medical history
• The child knows who their father is
• The father’s name is on the birth certificate
• Health or life insurance from either parent, if available
• Support from both parents, like child support and medical support
• Get Social Security or veteran’s benefits, military allowances and inheritances.
Paternity gives both parents the legal right to:
• Get a child support order
• Get a court order for visitation or custody
• Have a say in legal decisions about the child